Training Visa Subclass 407
The 407 visa aims to promote international goodwill by allowing Australian organisations to sponsor persons to travel to Australia to participate in occupational training activities, including classroom-based professional development activities. It is mostly used by companies seeking to enhance the skills of an overseas person through an inhouse structured training program.
How This Visa Works
The visa application can be made either in or outside of Australia.
There are three types of occupational training covered by this visa:
1. Workplace-based training required for registration
This type of occupational training is for people who are required to undertake workplace-based training to obtain registration, membership or licensing – in Australia or their home country – to work in their occupation;
2. Structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
This type of occupational training is for people with recent and suitable experience in the nominated occupation, who are seeking to undertake a structured workplace-based training program provided by an Australian business in relation to an occupation specified in the list of eligible skilled occupations.
3. Training that promotes capacity building overseas
This type of occupational training includes the following categories:
- Overseas qualification: enables students currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution – and who are required to complete a period of practical training, research or observation to obtain their qualification – the opportunity to undertake up to six months of structured workplace-based training in Australia
- Government support: allows structured workplace-based occupational training, providing it has the support of a government agency (in Australia or the home country of the nominated trainee)
- Professional development: enables overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees to Australia to undertake a tailored professional development program of face-to-face teaching in a classroom (or similar environment).
The application process comprises three stages: sponsorship, nomination and visa application.
A Training visa can be granted for up to two years or less depending on the skills the applicant already has.
What This Visa Lets you Do?
The holder of a 407 visa must work for the employer that has sponsored them under this visa for the duration of the visa.