Graduate Visa Subclass 485

Australian visa for graduate students: Start your career here.

You are studying in Australia and you’d like to stay and work here. The Skilled Graduate visa subclass 485 is a temporary work visa for you to live and work in Australia upon completion of your course.

How This Visa Works

There are two streams for the Temporary Graduate visa:

  • Graduate Work stream which is valid for 18 months
  • Post-study Work stream which is valid for either two or four years, depending on the qualification completed.

There are no restrictions on work or study. With a subclass 485 visa you’ll be able to:

  • Work
  • Complete a professional year to be able to score additional points in a skilled application.
  • Study to improve your English skills
  • Travel in and out of Australia

Who Is Eligible For This Visa?

General Requirements:

  • You must be younger than 50 years of age at the time you apply for this visa
  • You must hold an eligible visa at the time you apply for this visa, e.g. student visa
  • You must have met the two-year Australian study requirement in the past six months; this is two academic years with at least a total of 92 weeks being the duration of one or more courses
  • You must provide evidence that you have at least competent English, which is an IELTS (or equivalent) test result with at least 6 in each band.
  • You must have acceptable health insurance in Australia and meet Australian health and character requirements.

Specific Requirements for Graduate Work Stream

Only valid for 18 months

  • Each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.
  • You must provide evidence that your nominated occupation is on the Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL) and that your skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation (‘suitable skills assessment’)

Specific Requirements for Post-study Work Stream

A two-year visa can be granted for a Bachelor or Master’s degree and a four-year visa for a PhD degree.

  • Your first student visa to Australia was lodged on or after 5 November 2011.
  • You must have completed one or more of the following qualifications in Australia : – Bachelor degree – Bachelor with Honors – Masters by coursework – Masters (extended) – Masters by research – Doctorate –- e.g. PhD
  • Study resulting in a diploma level qualification or trade qualification will not be considered.
  • You hold an eligible qualification, which was conferred or awarded by an Australian university or non-university education provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS), and that provider offers courses at degree level and above.
  • Degree- level courses packaged with a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma course may be considered, provided they otherwise meet the Australian study requirement.


What This Visa Lets You Do?

A 485 visa holder may be able to apply for further stay in Australia, via Employer Sponsorship or Skilled Migration.


Study visas are complex. Please contact our team of experienced registered migration experts for immediate advice and assistance.

What type of visa are you looking for?


Employer Sponsorship Visa


Skilled Person & Want to Live and Work in Australia


Sponsor My Partner or Parents


Student Visa or Graduate Visa


Start a Business or Invest in Australia

Talk to us today. We'd love to hear from you.
Email us directly
AustraliaMigrate Suite 302B, 3rd Floor, 282 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood NSW 2067 Australia
migration agents registration number   

Subscribe to our newsletter

Hello, we'll get in touch sooner than you think.