Partner Visa for Engaged to Be Married Couples

Do I qualify to sponsor my partner for a Partner Visa?

The sponsor (you or your partner) must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, in order to sponsor your partner. There are certain circumstances where the sponsor may not be able to sponsor the partner, for example, if the sponsor has sponsored another partner before in the last 5 years.

If You are Engaged to be Married:

You must be able to legally marry according to Australian law, and your fiancé must be outside Australia at the time of application and decision.
• Your fiancé will need to be able to show that your relationship is genuine by demonstrating that your fiancé genuinely intends to marry you within nine months from the date your fiancé are granted a visa, and intends to then live with you as the spouse.
• Your fiancé will need to present evidence of a confirmed date of a marriage date as provided by a recognised marriage authority, either in Australia or overseas, and that you and your fiancé have physically met and are personally known to each other.

What Happens Next?

Your sponsored partner will be issued a Prospective Marriage Visa. This visa is valid for nine months.
• Following your marriage, and before the Prospective Marriage Visa expires, your sponsored partner will need to apply for a Partner Visa, which will allow him/her to remain in Australia. This Partner Visa will then be a pathway to permanent residency.


Employer Sponsorship Visa


Skilled Person & Want to Live and Work in Australia


Sponsor My Partner or Parents


Student Visa or Graduate Visa


Start a Business or Invest in Australia

Talk to us today. We'd love to hear from you.
Email us directly
AustraliaMigrate Suite 302B, 3rd Floor, 282 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood NSW 2067 Australia
migration agents registration number   

Subscribe to our newsletter

Hello, we'll get in touch sooner than you think.