Australian Visa For Parents

immigration consultant visitor visa for parents
Expert Knowledge, Seamless Immigration Advice.

Contact Us

Book A

Call Us

    Parent Visa

    Australian visa for parents: Stay with your loved ones. You are a parent of a child or children living in Australia and now you would like to move to Australia permanently and be with your children and maybe grandchildren.

    How Parent Visa Works

    Parents of Australian citizens, Permanent Residents or eligible New Zealand Citizens can apply for a Parent Visa if they meet the balance of family test and can be sponsored by at least one of their children living in Australia. To apply as a parent, you must be sponsored by your child, who must be an Australian Citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

    There are three kinds of Parent Visas which are as follows:

    1. Non-Contributory Parent Visa
    2. Contributory Parent Visa
    3. Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa.

    For Non-Contributory and Contributory Parent Visas:

    • At least half of your children are living in Australia, or more children are living in Australia (as Australian citizens or permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens) than overseas.
    • You will be sponsored by one of your children in Australia who is an Australian citizen, ‘settled’ permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
    • Applications can be made from within Australia, if you meet the Aged Parent definition and the visa you currently hold while in Australia does not have an 8503 (no further stay) condition.


    Specific Criteria for a Non-Contributory Parent Visa

    Visa Subclasses for Non-Contributory Parent Visas:

    Lodged when you are outside of Australia – subclass 103

    Lodged when you are inside Australia – subclass 804

    Assurance of Support is AUD5,000 for the main applicant and AUD2,000 for a partner. This bond will be held for a 2-year period. The bond will be requested when the visa is being assessed, which will be after a significant amount of years. Processing time is expected to be around 30 years.


    Specific Criteria for a Contributory Parent Visa

    Visa Subclasses for Contributory Parent Visa:

    Lodged when you are outside Australia – subclass 143 or for two-stage application, subclass 173

    Lodged when you are in Australia – subclass 864 of for two-stage application subclass 884

    Processing Time can be expected to be around 3.5 years.

    Assurance of Support is AUD10,000 for the main applicant and for any adult secondary applicant it is AUD4,000. This bond will be held for the 10-year period. Interest can be paid while the bond is being held.

    There are two payment options (adjusted annually) for Contributory Parent Visa applicants:

    1. Permanent visa (subclass 143 or 864) – pay $47,755 which is the second Visa Application Charge per parent
    2. Temporary visa (subclass 173 or 884) pay $31,670 for the second Visa Application Charge per parent, which would entitle parents to a two-year temporary residence visa including Medicare access and work rights. During this two-year period, parents may apply at any time for a permanent visa at which time the remaining payment of $19,420 is required.

    The contributory parent visa category also requires a 10-year $10,000 Assurance of Support bond for main applicants and $4,000 for adult secondary applicants (for temporary visa holders, this is payable during the processing of the permanent visa) The assurance of support bond earns interest and is refunded after 10 years.


    Other Requirements

    A parent can only apply within Australia for a parent visa if they are aged. An aged parent is one who is old enough to be granted an Australian age pension.

    The following is a table of how aged is determined. The pension age will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below:

    Period within which a person was born Pension age Date pension age changes
    From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 1953 65 years and 6 months 1 July 2017
    From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955 66 years 1 July 2019
    ­From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956 66 years and 6 months 1 July 2021
    From 1 January 1957 onwards 67 years 1 July 2023


    A parent who meets the pension age definition of Australia can apply for a Parent Visa within Australia, so long as there is not an 8503 (no further stay) condition on the visa they are holding, which usually would be a visitor visa. Once onshore and have applied for a parent visa, they are entitled to go on a bridging visa A, which keeps them in Australia lawfully, for the remainder of the time it takes to assess their parent visa.



    Sponsored Parent (Temporary Visa) Subclass – 870

    This is a temporary visa for parents which does not extend or lead to a Permanent Residence Visa. Once a Subclass 870 visa is granted and while it is being held, the parent cannot apply for any other subclass of parent visa.

    With this visa you can:

    • reunite with children and grandchildren.
    • visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years at a time (depending which option you select at the application stage).
    • re-apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia of 10 years.

    You cannot work in Australia

    Stay Longer

    You can apply to stay for a cumulative maximum 10-year period. You must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to be granted another Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa unless you have a Permission to Apply in Australia.

    If you have held Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas for the cumulative maximum 10- year period, you must either depart Australia or apply for another visa that will allow you to remain in Australia. You will not be eligible for grant of a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.


    You must have an approved Parent Sponsor to apply for this visa.


    • AUD5,000 for a visa of up to 3 years; or
    • AUD10,000 for a visa of up to 5 years.

    You must be outside Australia when you apply for the visa unless you have Permission to Apply in Australia, which must be requested by your sponsor

    Permission to apply

    Permission to Apply in Australia allows you to apply for this visa in Australia. It must be requested in Australia by your sponsor in their sponsorship application form.

    If you have Permission to Apply in Australia, you must lodge your visa application within 60 days of sponsorship approval. If you do not apply within 60 days, you will have to lodge your visa application outside Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval or make an application for a different visa to remain in Australia.


    You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

    What Does a Parent Visa Let You Do?

    • Stay in Australia indefinitely;
    • Travel to and from Australia with no restrictions;
    • Be entitled to Medicare, which is Australia’s Government health system;
    • No restrictions on work rights
    • Apply for Australian citizenship, once eligible, when the residence in Australia requirements are met.


    Parent visas are complex. Please contact our team of experienced registered migration experts for immediate advice and assistance.

    Parent Visa Frequently Asked Questions

    Client Story

    visitor visa for parents


    Maren Beattie arrived in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa in 2007. She and Matt had been pen-pals before she arrived.

    Our relationship developed and we got married in Jan 2008. I applied for a spouse visa with my husband Matthew Beattie. I received my Permanent Visa in 2010.

    Starting off in Australia in 2007 with a Working Holiday Visa, subclass 417. Shortly after meeting my husband, Matthew Beattie, we decided to get married. We were introduced and recommended by Matthew’s friend to contact with AustraliaMigrate for assistance in the spouse visa application.

    Why AustraliaMigrate?

    “AustraliaMigrate Pty Ltd has been helping people around the world successfully apply for Australian visas for over 20 years.
    Our professional specialists are highly experienced in the migration environment.”

    We guide individuals and businesses through the complex migration process to Australia. With long years of industry experience, our immigration specialists have built a reputation of providing accessible, accurate and genuine advice to our esteemed clients.

    Our specialists assist in preparing and reviewing your documents and forms before submitting for successful approval. We strive to make the whole immigration process hassle-free for you.

    We have a very high success rate of visa approval and a solid reputation resulting in a large amount of repeat business. We provide immigration services to individuals, families and companies, whether they are small or public companies and in any industry.

    Immigration is the only thing we do so we are highly specialized in it.

    partner visa

    What our clients have to say about us


    Thank you Ian. Fabulous news. Thanks to you and your team’s effort and work. Great service.


    Thank you SO so much for all of your patience and work on this. Still hasn’t sunk in yet that I’m actually free! Once again, massive thanks to both you and Mariola!!


    Thanks so much for this excellent news. I’m impressed how fast and smooth it all went, which is a result of excellence in services. Thanks so much for all the attention.

    M. MOBIN

    Thank you Ian ,I highly appreciate your kind efforts. Its a big day for me and my family and you make it possible. May you live long with health, wealth and peace.

    Latest News

    Skilled and Other Program Planning Levels from July 2023 to June 2024

    The 2023–24 Permanent Migration Program has allocated 30,375 places for Skilled Independent visas. This is comparable to the 2022–23 program allocation of 32,100 places. The smaller planning level for this …

    Read More

    New Opportunities to Apply for PR Under Employer Nominated Sponsorship.

    The Department of Home Affairs has recently made some positive changes for visa holders on 482 visas wishing to apply for PR under 186. The new regulations now allow: Anyone …

    Read More

    8 Reasons Why You Should Migrate to Australia

    Australia is renowned for being a land of opportunity, with a high quality of life and beautiful landscapes to explore. With net migration around 235,000 people, it is clear that …

    Read More

    Understanding the Australian Graduate Visa

    International students who graduate from Australian universities have the opportunity to continue gaining work experience in the country. The Australian Graduate Visa provides a bridge between academic achievement and professional …

    Read More