Student Visa Subclass 500

Australia is well known for its high quality of education – and studying in Australia can be a great choice to pursue your studies within a well-organised education system.

If you apply for a student visa, the level of documentation you need to provide will be determined by your choice of education provider and your country of citizenship. Here are examples of evidence you may need to provide.

Who Is Eligible For This Visa?

Evidence of intended study

The applicant must provide evidence of their intended study. Generally, this will mean the student should provide:

  • A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for all intended courses if applying outside of Australia
  • A CoE or letter of offer for all intended courses if applying in Australia
  • Either way, a CoE must be provided before the visa can be granted.

Evidence of financial capacity

Depending on your choice of education provider and country of passport,you can also be requested to provide evidence of your financial capacity. This means that the applicant must provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to cover travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees – for themselves and any accompanying family members (including school costs for any school-aged dependents). Currently the Department calculates the annual living costs are:

  • for students or guardians –  AUD$20,290 
  • for partners comoing with you – AUD$7,100 
  • for a child coming with you  AUD$3,040.

Evidence of sufficient funds can be provided in the form of a money deposit with a financial institution, or a loan with a financial institution. Depending on the circumstances, the applicant may also be asked to provide evidence that their spouse or parents are willing to support them, and that they have an annual income of at least AUD$60,000 for single students or at least AUD$70,000 for students accompanied by family members.

Evidence of English language ability

Depending on the choice of education provider and country of passport, the applicant may be asked to provide evidence that he or she has obtaineda satisfactory test score in an English language test (one which has been approved the Department) or evidence of certain eligible studies in English. The current English language test minimum scores that an applicant must achieve are:

Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement

When lodging the application, it is of upmost importance to provide sufficient evidence that the applicant genuinely intends to stay in Australia temporarily. This evidence may include:

  • The applicant’s circumstances in their home country
  • The applicant’s potential circumstances in Australia
  • The value of the course to the applicant’s future
  • The applicant’s immigration history
  • If the applicant is a minor – the intentions of a parent, legal guardian or spouse of the applicant
  • Other relevant matters.

What This Visa Lets You Do?

This visa allows you to:

You can study a CRICOS registered full-time course in Australia.

  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.
  • Eligible to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.


Study visas are complex. Please contact our team of experienced registered migration experts for immediate advice and assistance.

What type of visa are you looking for?


Employer Sponsorship Visa


Skilled Person & Want to Live and Work in Australia


Sponsor My Partner or Parents


Student Visa or Graduate Visa


Start a Business or Invest in Australia

Talk to us today. We'd love to hear from you.
Email us directly
AustraliaMigrate Suite 302B, 3rd Floor, 282 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood NSW 2067 Australia
migration agents registration number   

Subscribe to our newsletter

Hello, we'll get in touch sooner than you think.