Skilled Nominated Permanent Visa Subclass 190

Australian visa for professionals and skilled applicants: migrate independently

You’d like to come to Australia and you have professional or trade skills that may qualify you for Permanent Residency. Each State and Territory Government publishes a list of occupations in short supply in their area. There may be specific requirements in terms of work experience, English language ability, financial capacity Each State or Territory Government has their own occupations list which is much broader than the Department of Immigration Occupation List

How This Visa Works?

You can either be in Australia or overseas when you apply for a Subclass 190 Skilled Independent Visa. In order to lodge from within Australia, you would need to hold a substantive visa or a Bridging A, B or C visa. Once you apply from within Australia, you would receive a bridging visa allowing you to remain in Australia until your visa is assessed

Who Is Eligible For This Visa?

General Requirements:

  • You meet the required points for the visa you intend to lodge (65 points is the minimum).
  • Points are comprised of a number of factors such as age, qualifications, English fluency, work experience in Australia and overseas, qualifications obtained in Australia, state sponsorship.
  • Your age must be between 18 and 45 inclusive. Different points are awarded to different age groups.
  • Have a positive skills assessment (valid for three years) of your qualifications.
  • Undertook an English language test (IELTS, OET, TOEFL, iBT, PTE Academic or Cambridge English: Advanced) and achieved the required score.

Steps in the process

  • Lodgemet of the Expression of Interest (EOI) – The EOI is a system which gives the Government the tools to prioritise and rank prospective migrants in order of merit, selecting the ‘brightest and best’ migrants and/or candidates to fill labour market shortages. It also gives the Government the tools to tweak the type of occupations most needed, curb those occupations where there are too many applications and manage the general mix of occupations accepted in each program year.
  • Receive an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs;
  • Lodgement of the Visa application within 60 days of receiving the invitation

About Skill-Select

It is important to understand that an Expression of Interest (EOI) isnot a visa application and will not result in a bridging visa in Australia. Furthermore, any claims made in an EOI which cannot be substantiated in a visa application, for example, English fluency, qualifications, work experience, will lead to a refusal of the visa application.

What This Visa Lets You Do?

You can include the family members in your application:

  • Spouse, defacto partner (including the same-sex partner)
  • Dependent children up to 23yo unless they are financially dependent o you as they are not able to work due to their physical or mental condition.

This is a permanent visa. It lets you:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.


Skilled work visas are complex. Please contact our team of experienced registered migration experts for immediate advice and assistance.

What type of visa are you looking for?


Employer Sponsorship Visa


Skilled Person & Want to Live and Work in Australia


Sponsor My Partner or Parents


Student Visa or Graduate Visa


Start a Business or Invest in Australia

Talk to us today. We'd love to hear from you.
Email us directly
AustraliaMigrate Suite 302B, 3rd Floor, 282 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood NSW 2067 Australia
migration agents registration number   

Subscribe to our newsletter

Hello, we'll get in touch sooner than you think.